Thursday, September 13

And just to prove my point...

Yesterday, I posted about my writing style and how my characters reveal themselves and their world to me as I go. Ironically, after I posted that, I got writer's block in the worst way... but only for a few hours. I sat down to write and my characters REFUSED to give me anything. Anything at all!

So I took a nap to 'reset' my brain, and when I woke up, I consulted them again. This time, they gave me an incredible message: Start Over.

I literally blinked in surprise. They wanted me to whoodie-wha???? 100K words into the second book, and they wanted me to start over???

Well, they've been right before.

So, with a sigh and a shrug, I brought up a fresh new document, let the movie start in my head and... Well, it just proved my point. Where I was getting hung up on what I'd already written, bogged down mostly in the emotional struggles of my two main characters in this book, the rest of the 'gang' wanted to remind me that there was a lot more going on than just those two, and I needed to look beyond them.

So I started over, I listened to my folks, just as I talked about yesterday, and not only is the story much better today (IMHO), but there's even a new character that my mains have really taken to. I don't know what's happening with her, but I have a feeling she's going to turn into a main, which I certainly didn't see coming! But wow, does she have determination! I can't wait to see how she gets out of the mess she's in, but I'm betting it's gonna be good.

I think that learning to trust the characters has been my biggest lesson. I think I know where the story should go, but they actually do know. I need to remember that and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment